Sat 20 Apr 2013
Spring is definitely here and that usually makes us eager to refresh the appearance of our yards with beautiful flowers and plants! There is nothing as eye appealing as vibrantly colored flowers that represent a personal “welcome” greeting.
This outside appearance carries over to the inside as well. After months of cold weather and being indoors, it’s time to open up windows, clean out closets, garages, basements, cabinets…shall I go on…and refresh our interiors. The hardest part is where to begin, which can be a daunting task BUT if you make a plan to get busy and “just do it” then things will fall into place. Perhaps simply start by rearranging the furniture for a new look. Below are a few thoughts in furniture placement that I hope will get you thinking…
- Is the sofa currently positioned along a wall? To change it up why not put it on the diagonal in a corner? Arrange side chairs facing each other to create a “seating arrangement.” Perhaps place a sofa back table behind the sofa…add a lamp or two for lighting and a few accessories such as a vase with fresh cut spring flowers for color…
- Is there too much space in the seating arrangement? Keep in mind chairs should be no more than 8′ apart for conversation.
- What is an appropriate distance for coffee table placement? Generally a comfortable distance between the coffee table and sofa is 14″ – 18″.
- Is there enough light in the room? Remember to practice the “rule of three.” There should be three sources of light in a room. Ideally lamps…table and floor… should be placed in a triangle pattern for adequate lighting.
- Is your TV at the correct viewing distance? TV viewing distance should be 3 times the size of the screen. For example…a 42″ screen multiplied by 3 = 126″ divided by 12 feet = 10’5″ viewing distance. Seating arrangements should be placed at this distance away from the TV.
I hope this information is useful and has you motivated to refresh your surroundings this spring!